Sunday, June 5, 2016

Two Suitcases and the Journey of Hope....

As a hairstylist, I often have the opportunity to spend time with a "captive audience". There are so many memories of conversations being heard behind my styling chair over the last 32 years of working about both hope and healing.  My character and witness have grown from all of them.  I know my purpose in life and for what I have been called. I love my job and never feel like I've worked a day in my life. Well, except for the one day a year, I call in sick. LOL. 

For so much of my personal life, tragedy and challenge has been beside me.  I have always been so thankful that the Lord changed my life by allowing me to witness His hand in every milestone of my life.  I was married, divorced, married, widowed, and now happily married again.  Most people don't get to experience love once in a lifetime and I have experienced it more than once......

About 13 years ago in August of 2003, I had my first esophageal spasm.  Not knowing what it was and being in Guatemala at the time, I dismissed it until it happened again that September.  So for years, I have been experiencing excruciating pain without any answers.  Last September I was  diagnosed with Achalasia, a rare esophageal disorder.  Let me just say since then, it has been a journey.  I have had major surgery in October, a second surgery in February and a third surgery last month. I am on my HONEYMOON with the results of the last surgery and I can eat.  For how long, I am not sure but for now, I have picked my suitcase and I am on a journey of hope and healing.

Two weeks ago I had testing for neuropathy and I didn't pass as hard as I tried to cheat. All of this to tell you about my journey of hope.....


Romans 5:2-7   "2 through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we boast in the hope of the glory of God.  3 Not only so, but we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; 4 perseverance, character; and character, hope. 5 And hope does not put us to shame, because God's love has been poured out into
our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us.  6 You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly. 7 Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous person, though for a good person someone might possibly dare to die."


I feel like I had already picked up one suitcase and was carrying it with me even though I had learned how to lighten that load. Now, I have added another suitcase which feels a little heavier because I am at the beginning of that journey. I sort of know what it means to have achalasia but I don't know a thing about neuropathy. I also prefer to go on a journey with a lighter load than two suitcases.

All my life things have been beside me and now they are happening to me, which brings me to my "journey of hope". I know that my God is Great and I am worthy of His blessings so I am counting them day by day.  I am hopeful that my journey with either achalasia or neuropathy will bless someone as I find answers to the daily challenges.  I am hopeful that the people
watching me are inspired at my determination to rise above my daily challenges.  I AM HOPEFUL for healing.

Job 11:18-19    18 "You will be secure, because there is hope; you will look about you and take your rest in safety.  19 You will lie down, with no one to make you afraid, and many will court your favor."
Psalm 147:11   "11 the Lord delights in those who fear him, who put their hope in his unfailing love."

No comments: